Friday, August 26, 2011

Growing Wild


House plants and I don't have a good relationship. I'm one of the few people I've heard of who can kill a philodendron while trying to nurture it. 


On the other hand, outdoor plants seem to thrive under my neglect. Wild strawberries and violets covered the ground under the old mailbox this spring. A resurrection lily, mowed down repeatedly last year, popped up next to a pile of rock this summer, blooming as if carefully tended.


So my response to plants might be a little peculiar. Trees have always seemed to me to be almost sentient, like the Ents in The Lord of the Rings, and I always feel like they're trying to tell me something terribly important--I just can't understand the language of the wind in the leaves.


You might recognize the photo above as the background of my blog. I love it because not only do I feel like the trees are alive, but I feel like woods fairies could be peeking out from behind the ferns, giggling at my clumsiness and inability to hear the earth speaking to me. The photo to the left was taken in the same area, Reelig Glen in the Highlands of Scotland, and shows a little more of the play of light through the mist and leaves. The paths that lead through the glen are the paths that Victorian ladies once walked, but few of their footprints seem to be left.

This wasn't the only area in Scotland that, perhaps encouraged by a vivid imagination and love for fantasy, seemed magical to me, and it wasn't the only area to which I felt an immediate, elemental connection. But it was the area where I most felt the presence of the verdant life that had been Growing Wild for more years than I can really comprehend. 

5 comments:

  1. I can't keep houseplants alive, either, but I do feel at one with outdoor greenery, especially trees. I think I'm sometimes more at home resting on or underneath the branches of a big sturdy tree than I am most anywhere else. I love the idea of wood sprites prancing amongst the trees, giggling and mischievous. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE your imagery...love where i walk when i read your blogs ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, all. You make this worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete